The beginning of a new year is a motivational time to make resolutions for the year ahead so if being more organised is on your agenda here are a few tips to help you on your way:
- Clean up – throw out any old paperwork and create an organised filing system. Make your workspace functional and free of clutter. This also applies to your virtual desktop. Make a habit to file on a regular basis.
- Schedule your time – use a calendar to set up meetings, appointments, deadlines and set up some reminders a few days ahead to give yourself time to prepare for them.
- Write down lists and prioritise – write yourself a daily/weekly/monthly to-do list and place your priority tasks at the top. Checklists will help keep you on track as well as give you that great feeling of having accomplished something.
- Make time for a break – trying to fit a much as possible in the one day will only make you less productive. Instead, take the time to recharge your batteries, go for a walk, or eat a proper lunch away from your desk. You will come back feeling refreshed and ready to take on the next task on your list.
- Stay healthy – studies have shown that healthy workers are more productive. Pack yourself a lunch and some healthy snacks from home and keep the take away option and the office cakes as occasional treats only.
- Be active – this goes hand-in-hand with eating healthy. If, like many, you can never find the energy to hit the gym after work, why not try morning exercise. Set up your alarm half an hour earlier, resist the temptation to hit the snooze button and go for a walk (remember, realistic goals), jog or maybe even join a bootcamp session. Regular exercise will give you extra energy on the long term