Reduce, Reuse and Recycle has been embedded into our society to manage everyday sustainable practices. But how do we transform this ideal into common practice in the workplace? Here’s some tips on going green in your office…
1. Waste Management: Create a recycling culture within the workplace by implementing simple strategies to reduce waste. Set printers to print on both sides of the page as a default, use reusable ink cartridges and ensure there are paper recycling bins located throughout the office.
2. Work Online: Encourage staff to go paperless as much as possible by switching to an online interface. This will not only help the environment but also save on expenditure. Activities such as reading reports, invitations, meeting notes and sending documents online minimise paper waste significantly.
3. Hit The Streets: Whether you’re heading to a meeting or going to lunch, reducing the amount of time spent in a car can have a big impact. Instead of driving solo, try walking, carpooling, cycling or public transport.
4. Energy Consumption: With the amount of electrical products left on or in standby mode after business hours, small changes in electrical consumption can make a huge impact on your carbon footprint. Power-saving tips include turning off lights when not in use, switching to LED lights or investing in automatic switches that detect people’s activity. Streamline your company’s computer efficiency by disabling screensavers, turning all electronic items off when not in use and recycling them once obsolete to reduce landfill. Installing solar panels is another great long term power saving solution.
5. Extra tips: Further reduce your footprint with effortless practices such as switching to simple cleaning supplies, providing reusable dishes, silverware and glasses and encouraging employees to use reusable coffee cups and plastic containers.
With every small action adding up when it comes to office waste, introducing a holistic approach to create a workplace that cares for both people and the environment can have significant impact.